Progress

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Happy Birthday, Baby Girl!!!

My baby is 8 years old today. Wow! I remember turning 8. For some unfathomable reason I considered that the threshold between "little kid" and "big kid." So, no more babies now. I have three big kids.

She was disappointed that we aren't having her birthday party today. She was only a little satisfied when I said we would still have a party, just later than her actual birthday. She was ok with the whole thing when I told her she would still be able to open her family presents today.

She has been delighted by all of her gifts. There was a Strawberry Shortcake doll from her grandparents. A Polly Pocket Cinderella from her DS10 and a Polly Pocket Belle (Beauty and the Beast) from her DS9. I got her some cute shoes that were on clearance, plastic hair curlers (per her request), a Kelly doll that has 3 little bunnies, and a Bitty Baby from American Girl.

Her father got her a Magic: The Gathering booster card pack. He has just recently begun teaching her to play his favorite game. She loves it and she loved the cards.

On a side note, if any of you know Magic cards...
Two of her Swamp cards (not even by the same artist!) look like the touchy-feely-est, Rainbow Connection-est, Golly Mom can we move THERE-est pieces of ---WETLANDS (I cannot even call them Swamps) I have ever seen. One of them even has lily pads...complete with BLOSSOMS! Now I know there are real-life swamps that look like this. Swamps CAN be pretty. But GEEZ! Why not just use Monet's Water Lilies? I want to believe it was art already extant that the rights to use on the cards was contracted for, but I don't actually think that is the case. Part of me wants to say..."Maybe someone knew that this booster pack would be going to a seven eight year old girl." Now, "hand of God" I'll buy, but Magic cards seems a little beneath His notice, AND she'll be seeing the icky cards in play anyway, so what would be the point? I am not conspiracy-theorist enough to think Wizards of the Coast knew she would be getting those cards. So, I think it is just a falling down somewhere in their art or art acquisition department.
You don't power death and decay spells with a KOI POND!!!!

(Some of the Mountains and Islands she got also looked a little greenie. I swear I almost expected to see that they were some kind of multi-land or new addition to the game, like "Snow Covered" was for Ice Age.

Eco-Walk Enchantment
No elf with Eco-Walk can be blocked if the target player has a land in play on which the card looks like a peaceful bastion of hope for endangered species, regardless of actual color.
Eco-Rage - tap 1 green mana - All elves with Eco-Walk gain +10/+10 Trample whenever any damage is done to the pretty mana card, or even if the owner dares so much as tap it.

No comments: