Progress

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Never Give Up, Never Surrender

It occurs to me as I go throught this blog, rereading past entries and laughing at my own clever wit, that i promised to review my movie collection. (I also promised a bible commentary and to blog every day, but that is neither here nor there.)

Finally, I give you...

Hmmm...I probably should have chosen a movie before I started this. One moment, please

Oh Mandy, well you came and you gave without taking
But I sent you away
Oh Mandy, Well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
And I need you today
Oh Mandy.


Galaxy Quest
This is a Trekkie movie. not a Star Trek movie, but a movie written for Star Trek fans. If you are not specifically a Trek fan but enjoy science fiction; you will probably still enjoy it. It pokes good natured fun a tthe Star Trek stereotypes and eccentricities. Even if scifi isn't really your thing, but you still like a good action/comedy, I don't think you would hate this.

For the trekkie, though, this film is the Mothership calling from home to say you were always her favorite, even if no one else can see how special you are.

Tim Allen does superbly. He never was someone I would peg as an action hero (Buzz Lightyear notwithstanding) but since his character is "not quite an action hero" it fits.

Alan Rickman has been a favorite villain actor of mine for many years. Die Hard, Quigley Down Under, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Harry Potter (sort of)
He only really played a good guy in Truly, Madly, Deeply and no one has ever seen that movie but me, so it hardly counts.
This movie brings out his comedic talent as even Marvin the robot from The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy does not. (another movie in my DVD collection)
I loved that, as much as Alexander professed to hate his prsthesis, he was still wearing it off-hours.

Sigourney Weaver hasn't been this funny since Ghostbusters (chucklefest that Alien was.) She was very good in Galaxy Quest and it was clear she was having fun.
There is an interview in the bonus features where she discusses the absurdity of the movie's plot (in a good way.) Imagine an invasion by freaky aliens...whom do we need to save us? Well, Sigourney Weaver made movies where she kicked some alien butt. Let's get her!

Sam Something-or-Other (IMDB; Rockwell) was hilarious as Guy, the Extra.
Wouldn't you hate to find out you were living a movie and you are just Crewman #6?...and the character's name is actually Guy! I love it!

The acting is good all around. Also in this film are Adrian Monk and Veronica Mars' dad. Just kidding.

I LOVE Tony Shaloub! Wings, 13 Ghosts (not a fav of mine), Men in Black, Monk...Are my husband and I the only people who remember Stark, Raving Mad? Tony's character on that (very short-lived) series was just about the exact opposite of Adrian Monk.
But enough about all that. The character of Fred Kwan (not his real name) is unphased by anything! Nothing gets to him (exceot operating the tranporter) I love it. Who else could eat cheese crackers while their shuttle is about to crash on an alien planet?

I love this movie. My husband and I often quote it to each other in weird, nerd-based (and even sometimes in normal) conversation.

This one is 5 stars. *****


DD11 starting to practice her geisha skills, in case she cannot be an astronaut.

No comments: